Saturday, January 6, 2007

January and February Books

The books I hope to start, complete and/or purchase in the month of January are listed below. They are not in any specific order nor preference. Although it sounds a bit over compulsive, I typically am actively reading three to four books at a time. No, I don't have four sets of eyes nor do I have three identical brothers. I simply am engaged with four books. This type of reading complements my personality in a hand-n-glove kind of way. When I'm in the mood for fiction, I simply pick up the Newberry Award winning book I'm currently reading and read away. When I am grabbling with a question or questions concerning my field, I pick up a non-fiction book that will hopefully provide me with some insight. When I'm exploring my inner self and trying to come to terms with who I am, why I am the way I am, why I do the things I do, and how can I alter the way I do things, I tend to pick up a book to aid me in that journey. Lastly, I try to pick up the bible to read, study, and to gain insights to guide me through my journey in life. Taking a deeper look at "the moods" for reading, I can basically categorize them into four categories: 1) reading literature for pleasure and literature awareness, 2) work related, 3) personal growth, and 4) spiritual growth.

Over the past few years, I have come to terms with my struggle with reading. Reading has always been a chore for me. I believe this struggle or lack of desire to read was strongly connected to the purpose for reading. In the past, I always associated reading with something you had to do. It was a chore, a requirement, and done simply because you were told. Everything I read as a child and young adult was read because I was told or expected to do so. No enjoyment. No real purpose. Reading was only an act that I had to perform so that I could get what I wanted (i.e. A's and B's on the report, A's and B's on the report card, read so that I can go play, etc...). Now, especially since I am older (not so much wiser) I chose to read for a purpose.

Although this list is not exhaustive, it sets me in motion for the next two months. These books, as well as others that just happen to fall on my lap over the next two months, will influence my short term and long term actions as well as active thoughts.
  • The Moral Imperative of School Leadership by Michael Fullan
  • Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
  • Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
  • What's Worth Fighting for in the Principalship? by Michael Fullan
  • Bass Reeves by Gary Paulsen
  • Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
  • Improving Your Storytelling by Doug Lipman
  • U2 by U2 by U2
  • The Book of John
  • The Leadership Challenge by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner
  • The Rhythm of Life by Matthew Kelly
  • The Secret by Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller
  • The One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard
  • 25 Ways to Win with People by John C. Maxwell
  • The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell, M.D.
  • ...And Now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold
  • The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

Here's to the journey!

No comments: