Sunday, December 31, 2006

The One Minute Apology


Another book in the One Minute series called The One Minute Apology has come across my desk. These one minute books are enjoyable short stories with an intended purpose. I first came across the One Minute Manager back in the late 80's early 90's and enjoyed its simple premise and simple way of delivering a powerful message. Since then I have picked up a few of the other One Minute books and have added them to my personal library. Now that I am an administrator and responsible for the education of many children and adults, my interest in this series of books has reemerged. All to often I make mistakes and need to apologize, but it is my pride and self-centeredness that stands in the way. And I usually feel like crap when my big ego gets in the way.

This book begins with a young man who seeks the advise of the One Minute Manager. He visits him while he is on vacation out on a beautiful lake with his family. The young man learns the powerful lessons of the One Minute Apology from the One Minute Manager, his daughter Annie, his son Brad, his wife Carol, and his mother Nana.

In a nutshell, the One Minute Apology is broken up into three parts: Honesty, Surrender, and Integrity.

No one is perfect. It has been said, "The one man who was perfect, they hung on a cross." And since Jesus walked on this earth, there has not been another perfect person. Perfection people strive for but people will never achieve it. We all make mistakes. To err is human. This book provides the reader with the necessary steps to take when an err has occurred and how to remedy the situation with integrity.

What did I learn from this book and how will I apply it in my daily (home and family) life?
A real student would say they learned a great deal from this book and that they will take these powerful insights and use them daily in their personal and professional life. Well, I'd like to say that but truth of the matter is that when my wife walks into the room or I step into the office, I'll forget everything I read about except two to four main points (or phrases). So what has stuck with me? There were four points and/or stories I will be leaving with.

The first has to do with being aware of your actions and ask yourself the honest question, "Did I make a mistake in words, deeds, and/or actions?" It is important that I look at each situation and be honest with myself. As a person in a position of authority, an easy trap to fall into is the one that you always believe you are right simply because you are in a leadership position.

Secondly, I will take with me is the story about Abraham Lincoln and Colonel Scott. I was taken aback by Abraham's response to Scott's personal request to attend his wife's funeral and comfort his children. This man, this rock, this strong leader of our country was down right rude, inconsiderate, and uncaring. However, the very next morning, Abraham Lincoln went to Colonel Scott's house and sincerely apologized and made things right. This story I will read in it's entirety several times in the near future.

Thirdly, I need to write my own obituary. It sounds weird but in a way it makes a great deal of sense. The brief story about Alfred Nobel and the Nobel Peace prize hit home. How do I want my wife, my children, my family, my friends, and my co-workers to remember me by? A man honest man with integrity and a gentle heart? I hope I don't die soon. I'm not to sure my current obituary would be pleasant to read. This will be a task I take on within the next month or so.

Lastly, I need to stop using worry words. According to the author of the One Minute Apology, worry words are: should have, could have, would have, and if only. As I reflect over the past six months, those worry words have infiltrated my vocabulary, both in writing and verbally. In retrospect, it is easy to see how these words do not build strength or confidence in the leader nor his constituents.

I enjoyed this book as much as I did the One Minute Manager. In fact, I went on line and purchased several other books written by Ken Blanchard. The books I purchased were: The Secret, Leadership and the One Minute Manager, Gung Ho, Putting the One Minute Manager to Work, Self-Leadership and the One Minute Manager, and Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Role Model of All Times.

I hope to read those titles in the near future.
Some quotes from the book that just seem to hit home.




  • "The time consuming part comes in being completely honest with yourself and taking responsibility for your mistakes before you apologise." page 15

  • "At the core of most problems is a truth you don't want to face."

  • The longer you wait to apologize your weakness will be perceived as wickedness.

  • "Honesty is telling the truth to ourselves and others. Integrity is living that truth." page 33

  • "Without a change of behavior, just saying I'm sorry, is not enough."

  • "Never apologize just to appease someone."

  • "Never assume what another person is thinking."

  • "The best way to apologize to someone you have harmed is to tell them you made a mistake, you feel badly about it, and how you will change your behavior."

  • "People with humility don't think less of themselves. They just think about themselves less."

No comments: